Babaganoush combines the best Gypsy/Romani, Balkan and Greek Music from Eastern Europe. Hypnotic & sensuous, they are exquisite to dance to. Their music is infused with intoxicating melodies, hot rhythms and fiery vocals.
Their influences include great Romani/Gypsy musicians such as Taraf de Haidouks, Kocani Orkestar, Esma Redzepova & Kali Jag. From the Spiegeltent to Europe’s liveliest bars, Babaganoush have ventured the world music circuit in full swing. Seamlessly they cover many traditions (Romani, Serbian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian, Greek). Exuberant, heartfelt, the band has an organic beauty that is rare and unforgettable.
Babaganoush have featured in festivals such as:
- The Melbourne Festival “Spiegeltent” 2006
- National Folk Festival 2007,
- Maldon Folk Festival 2007,
- Darebin Music Feast 2006-2009,
- Surrey Hills Music Festival 2012,
- Karavan Melbourne International Gypsy Festival 2011,
- Viva Victoria Multicultural Festival,
- Warburton Harmony Festival 2012,
- International Artist Blacksmith’s Festival 2013 & 2015,
- Globe to Globe Music Festival 2015, and VIVA Victoria Multicultural Festival 2015,
- Renaissance Festival 2015,
- Earthartbeat festival 2015,
- Murray River International Festival 2016,
- Oakleigh Glendi Greek Festival & Mediterranean Fiesta 2016 & 2017,
- Four Seasons festival-Clunes.
In 2007 the band toured Europe and took France, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium and Holland by storm.
They continue to play in music festivals around Australia, various concerts, bars, cafes, weddings, parties, dance collaborations, & private functions. Their favourite hangouts in Melbourne include Open studio and Bar Open.
- Piano accordion
- Double bass
- Percussion (darbuka)